WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Sunday, September 7, 2008

I've been away. What did I miss?

I've been away. On vacation. It was OK. Camping with an 18-month-old isn't quite the definition of "relaxing" and I managed to catch a cold for the second straight year on vacation. My right ear is still working about half capacity after cinching up on the rapid descent from Asheville on I-40 on Friday afternoon.

Nothing like leaving the peace and quiet of the Blue Ridge Mountains to roll straight into a tropical storm. But at least we were spared nothing more than picking up a few limbs (except for the folks on Kenan Street who dodged a bullet in the form of a big ol' oak tree that just missed their house). Had Hanna been a Category IV hurricane, I would not be typing this to you right now, at least not from my home. That storm, or what was left of it, went right over Wilson. Could've been really, really bad, folks. Let's hope Ike loses some of his bluster before he hits Florida.

So what did I miss? A big week for Hunt soccer as the Warriors defeated Rocky Mount and former coach Drew Nick then stopped Fike. A big week for the Fike football team which beat Hunt for the first time since 2004 although it took overtime, a dubious celebration penalty and a missed 25-yard extra point kick to do it. Still, a nice win for the Golden Demons who are 2-0 for the first time since 2004. I picked Hunt, mainly because of its five-game winning streak against the Demons.

Not a good week for me in picking games. I could blame it on my hurried choices very early Saturday morning a week ago before rushing home to pack for Asheville. But I would have taken the same teams if I pondered it long and hard. Well, maybe not North Johnston, which finally lost by more than a point as Bennett Jones' West Johnston team pounded the Panthers in Kenly.

Beddingfield should not be losing to Nash Central, which has won two straight after getting blitzed by 2-A Tarboro 50-7 on opening night. The Bruins' offense wasn't up to the task on Friday.

I took East Carolina over Virginia Tech but didn't think the Pirates had back-to-back upsets in 'em. Color me wrong, not purple.

Well, the long-awaited season premiere of "Entourage" is on. I'll be back...

No comments:

Post a Comment