WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Friday, October 28, 2011

Game 6 was one for the ages

As a 10-year-old in 1975, I sat up late watching Game 6 of the World Series, lights off in the living room, hoping my mom or dad wouldn't get up and make me go to bed before it was over. I remember Bernie Carbo hitting that pinch-hit three-run homer in the eighth inning and Carlton Fisk's homer in the 11th winning it for the Red Sox.

As a 46-year-old in 2011, I'm still up after witnessing what I believe to be the greatest World Series game in my lifetime. David Freese is the new Carlton Fisk after his 11th inning solo blast to center gave the Cardinals an amazing 10-9 win over the Rangers, who were a strike away from their first world championship not once, but twice!

Tonight had it all — critical errors, clutch hits, great defense, questionable managerial decisions, heroes and goats. Would have been nice to see Josh Hamilton hit the Series-winning homer but it wasn't in the Cards. Sorry.

One more thing. Nelson Cruz, you've got to make that catch!

No comments:

Post a Comment