WILSONTIMES.COM NEWS  •  SPORTS  •  LIFE  •  OPINION  •  OBITUARIES  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  CONTACT  •  CLASSIFIEDS  •  SPECIAL SECTIONS

Monday, July 28, 2008

Smoke 'em while you can

As of Friday, all North Carolina public school campuses will have a no-tobacco policy in effect, reported The Charlotte Observer on Monday.

That means no cigarettes, no cigars, no pipes, no chaw, no dip in school and at school functions, including athletic events.

That's going to be a tough one for some folks around here. After all, Wilson was the World's Greatest Tobacco Market and while tobacco use has declined, it's still prevalent.

I guess it's a good thing. I'm not for a government ban on smoking but if a business wants to do it, that's fine. Because schools are run by the government, I guess it's up to it to decide.

While I don't see what the problem is putting smokers in an area like everywhere else, I've been to softball games in which people lean on the fence, puffing away and clouds of smoke float across the infield. That's not cool and I guess it's now a thing of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment